I’ve been a copywriter a while, like twelve-ish years. Over that time, I’ve had many questions about why copywriters are necessary – often to my face! So, I decided it’s time to put that list of fun questions together and answer the ultimate question: who needs a copywriter?
Listen, I’m just a girl, standing in front of a crowd like Oprah Winfrey shouting: you need a copywriter, you need a copywriter, and you need a copywriter!
What is a copywriter?
A copywriter is a professional writer who uses proven sales techniques to create compelling and persuasive pieces of writing to convert readers into customers. Copywriters generate revenue, crafting copy to boost email open rates and skyrocket conversions on a landing page. Not only are they a great ROI, but a great copywriter also intimately understands your ideal audience, grasping their pain points and desires.
Copywriter vs Content Writer
What’s the difference? It seems like there’s a lot of overlap, but it generally comes down to the purpose of a piece of writing:
copy are words that persuade, so writing with an intent to sell and convert.
whilst content is designed to entertain, engage and educate.
I am a hybrid and write in both spaces.
What are the benefits of hiring a copywriter?
In theory, anyone can write, right? So, you might be thinking, I don’t need a copywriter because I can do it myself.
But nah, probably not. You may have a knack for writing but copywriting is an art form – it takes years of practice. And even then, there’s always room for improvement. When I’m done with your project, it’ll feel sparkly and exciting.
The benefit of hiring a copywriter is that they will create content to meet your needs, fill in the gaps and make it all work together seamlessly. Whether you don’t have the time or the creativity, but you want results, with the help of a copywriter like me, you’ll get them a lot sooner than you might get there on your own.
Content is king and a copywriter is what makes your content shine
A good copywriter can be your best friend when communicating what makes your company different from the competition! They’ll help you write content for everything from social media posts to blogs on your website that are engaging, interesting and persuasive.
There are many benefits to hiring a professional writer; not only will they save you time in coming up with new content ideas. But they can also take some of the pressure off by creating blog posts or social content, which leaves you more time to focus on your business.
Here are some of the reasons why you should consider hiring a copywriter:
- A good writer creates compelling copy which will help people understand what you do
- They’ll also understand the audience you’re targeting and deliver a message that speaks to their pain points or desires – so they’ll be in tune with what resonates best.
- Copy can help with branding by establishing your tone and voice – that thing that makes you different from all those other people doing what you’re doing.
- It’s more work than just throwing words out there.
So, who needs a copywriter?
Everyone! Well, anyone who is in the business of marketing their products or services and wants to do it right. Specifically, you need one if your content is not converting readers into customers or it isn’t as compelling and readable as it could be. A good writer will make your content that much better – they understand the audience you’re targeting, so their message speaks to them. They know how to craft compelling copy that persuades and converts, so they’ll be in tune with what resonates best.
How to find a good copywriter and what to look for
I think gut feelings will tell you a lot about whether you want to work with a person, but there’s a few other traits and qualities to look out for too:
- Some demonstrable experience of ability, whether that’s a portfolio or even just an Instagram that appeals to you.
- Personality is important too. You need someone that can build rapport with your target audience and who speaks their language.
- You want to find someone you like working with so they are invested in the project and will therefore produce a great result.
Tips on how to work with a copywriter
- It might seem like a lot to pay someone to do something (you think) that you can do too, or just as well, but a copywriter will save you time and money in the long run.
- If you can’t afford a copywriter to write all your content, pick the most critical pieces that will have maximum impact. For example, your homepage, a sales landing page, or paid ads.
- Choose someone that you connect with. Working with someone who has a portfolio of fantastic work but there’s zero rapport won’t produce the level of results that you need.
- Remember, a copywriter isn’t just writing for you. They’re also strategic and creative, and they should be able to understand how content impacts conversion rates and what makes people want to read it.
Words that play nicely with Google
So, you have fantastic messaging, clever words and a great looking site or page. Does any of that matter if it doesn’t play nicely with Google?
Copywriting and SEO go together like a hand in a glove. Although some copywriters specialise exclusively in SEO, a good copywriter should have at least an understanding of SEO. They will know what makes people want to read something online – like being creative with headlines, using keywords that will rank higher in search engine results, or incorporating visuals that appeal to your target audience.
Are you looking for a copywriter?
Got an exciting project that needs a copywriter? Drop me a message, and let’s see how we can work together! Take a look at what I offer, or drop me a message here!